Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Caramelo is my favorite word


1. Don’t call me Virginia.
2. I take my chocolate dark 
3. Se dice: gracias, buenas y con permiso.
4. The smell of rain and vanilla put me in a good mood.   
5. I do my best work between 4-6 a.m. Do not ask me anything important after 2 p.m. 
6. I feel naked without earrings.
7. I am an Eagle Warrior.
8. I hate kitchen gadgets, and I love to cook Mexican food.
9. My perfect day: Writing, running, hiking, dancing, cooking, bath with vanilla oil, daydreaming, moonlight, and taking photos.
10. Books: I love their smell, touching them, re-reading them and above all, writing in them. Sentimental favorites: México the Beautiful Cookbook (Palazuelos and Tausend with Ignacio Urquiza -best photographer ever), Chronicle of a death foretold (GGM), Los 1001 años de la lengua española (Antonio Alatorre RIP), and The Hummingbird and the Hawk (Padden)
11. Smoky mezcal.
12. Playa Maya in Tulum, Quintana Roo: most beautiful beach in the world.
13. I never check my voicemail, and I hate leaving messages -yes, that's me hanging up. Text me.
14. I prefer to parallel park and I hate riding in other people’s cars.
15. Tieks shoes and Tobacco Vanille –worth the investment.
16.  Accent marks are there for a reason –and decoration is not it.
17. I got my first tattoo when I was 30.  
18. The ballet barre: love it.
19. Mexican food: Best ever.
20. I am a frustrated historian/anthropologist/chef/poet trapped in the mind of a linguist.
21. Rainer Rilke, Henry Rollins, Charles Baudelaire, Cole Porter, Carlos Fuentes, Chavela Vargas, the Gershwins, Pablo Neruda, José Alfredo Jiménez, Bebel Gilberto, Gabriel García Márquez, and that starry Mexican thespian rock my world.
22. I could listen to the midnight trains, the rain, "Tú, mi delirio" (Portillo de la Luz), "Night and day" (Cole Porter), and the voice of that starry Mexican thespian all day long.
23. Talavera –what a work of art. Sand dollars – what a work of nature. 
24. Malinche and Porfirio Díaz – that’s all I’m saying.
25. Always dreaming of México... and breakfast in bed ... in México.



No comments:

Post a Comment